Here’s a message from organizers about the Day of Action happening at HSU on March 1.
Hey Student and Academic Organizers!
The March 1st Day of Action for Education is going to be an epic day for the State of Public Education! The national teach-ins during the early part of the Vietnam War helped to activate the entire country, and led to mass demonstrations that reshaped American policy and attitudes. And now, it is our calling to relive history! We will join our fellow campuses across the nation, celebrating public education, and demanding change!
What a day we will be having at Humboldt State University! From Noon till 1:00 pm, a fantastic line up of speakers will be exciting the student base in the Quad. Speakers will touch on art, education, and the current state of social inequality!
1) Travis and Jake – Introduce the Rally and Our Purpose
2) Laura – On Pressing Social Issues
3) Tom – A Spoken Word Piece
3) Shawn – On the Educational Budget Crisis
4) Aurora – On Awesome, Empowering Social Change
6) Jeff – On Changing The Current Educational Paradigm
From 1:00 to 1:25 pm, Occupy Humboldt State will be providing entertainment for the crowd, via hula hooping, artistic presentations, and more.
From 1:30 to 5:30 pm, the Student Sociological Association, in conjunction with student activists and the Humboldt community, will be hosting a ‘workshop intensive’. The workshop schedule is as follows:
Introduction and Declaration of Purpose: 1:30 to 1:45 pm
Workshops Held During Round 1 – 1:45 to 2:45 pm:
1) Know Your Rights Training Session – Laura D.
2) NonViolent Communication Training – Felicia A.
3) Lobbying For Positive Solutions To The Education Crisis – Jesse and Aaron W.
4) Creating Change With The Power Of Art – Moss W.
Workshops Held During Round 2 – 2:45 to 3:45 pm
1) The OWNS Program, A Community Answer – Shawn and Brian
2) Radical Food Solutions – Ryan B. and Moss C.
3) Corps Ain’t Peeps – Dave M. and David B.
Workshops Held During Round 3 – 3:45 to 4:45 pm
1) Label GMO’s – Heather H.
2) Occupy: Past, Present, and Future – Aren R.
3) Activists for Education – Jake F. and Jeff B.
Sum-up and Wind-down – 4:45 – 5:30 pm
From 5:30 to 7:00ish pm a General Assembly will be held
From 8:00 to 10:00 pm the Humboldt Circus will be playing with fire in the Quad.
And then the conspiring begins, from 10:00 pm till the morn!